Skip to main content

O Christmas Tree

So my wonderful kind and patient brother Nathan called me the other day while he was knitting, and he began tearing up at the fact that i hadnt blogged for a while. Normally i wouldnt give in to such peer pressure, but my sweet nathan is very tender hearted, so naturally out of pure kindness, i am obliged to do what he says.

Anyways, i suppose i have to go all the way back to getting our christmas tree. As the only child at home, it is my duty and responsibility to make sure that we have a quality gigantic christmas tree. This also means that it is my job to refuse my dads threats of buying a fake christmas tree. It is alot of pressure, but i believe i handled it well this year. It all started on a blustery day in late november when my current boss called me to tell me that i had earned a job a Tradehome shoe store. So anyways back to the tree, i had to go get some papers signed at trade home saying i was a legal citizen and i hadnt broken any laws and had my rabies shot etc. and then i got home and we went to get the tree. However by the time we got to the tree farm it was almost dark

So we got to the tree farm and the kid working there asks me and my parents (Who after years and years of christmas tree finding consider ourselves professionals)
Punk Kid: What are you guys looking for tonight?
*silence*
Me: I think we were looking for a tree
*Silence+mom giggling*
Punk kid: well, whatever, but we have lots of kinds of trees
Dad: Well we're looking for a tall tree
Punk Kid: Well we might have some 6 or 7 footers in that section over there

6 or 7 FT?!?!?!?!?! oh brother. So anyways me and my lovely mother started our trek to the white pine and scotch pine area to start looking for trees. My dad was supposed to be following us, but something had caught his eye. The economy tree section. That is right... Economy trees, 14.95 for a tree that looked like it had been hit by a cattle truck. My dad was elated it was like love at first sight. So while me and my mom were busy picking out a tree that actually looked good and was about 9-10 feet tall my father runs over and says, hey guys lets get an economy tree, they are such good trees. Woah, hold on buckaroo, as the only representative for the children of the family, i had to put my foot down, there would be no purchasing of precut short economy trees as long as i was still around. I told my father these feelings of my heart, and he proceeded to try and convince me of how good these economy trees were, however, with the economy in the state its in, i didnt believe one word of it.

Anyways, long story short we ended up picking out a 9 foot tree in about 15 minutes which is a record time for decision making in the Cragun household. We then proceeded to take it to the tree bagger, upon dragging the tree over to where the Punk Kid was standing his mouth dropped open and he said and i quote "Wow, you guys sure did want a big tree" Mission accomplished.

Our tree was so big that it didnt fit through the tree bagger, we ended up needing to cut off a branch or two at the bottom, which is fine by me because we will need that space for presents anyways. We then proceeded to haul the tree home and get it all set up for my dad to put the lights up. which he loves doing, so any of you who need someone to put lights on your tree, call my dad, he will jump at the opportunity.


This is us trying to shove the tree through the tree bagger (the red and white thing), notice Punk Kid is being eaten by the tree, his shoes are sticking out at the bottom.



This is our gargantuan tree, we have lots of ornaments on it, i oversaw its decoration and made sure that all the classic ornaments were put up (6 dwarves, ornamators, weird animal things that dad hates, etc.) And i also was happy to welcome a few new ones, like the Official White House Christmas Ornament of year 2007, and my personal favorite: Weird Scottish Guy who's Kilt wont Stay Down in back and thus is in an eternal state of mooning.

Well, to those of you who wont continue reading because this blog has gotten rediculously long, have a merry christmas and a happy new year. For those of you who have nothing better to do, go ahead and read the rest, i cant promise it to be exciting.

So a few random things have happened to me since i last blogged which was an eternity ago, and since im to lazy to talk about them in detail, ill just give you the play by play


1. My new job at Tradehome shoes
2. I had a weird dream about the kids in my youth group eating deer in my backyard
3. I entered into a drawing for an ipod touch at school, but because of a snow day, wont hear if i won or not until after winter break
4. We had 2 snowstorms in a row, allowing me to leave work 2 hours early on both thursday and saturday.
5. we had our first official snowday on Friday, which was the worst possible day to have a snow day

I'm to lazy to write anything else, if you really want to hear anything about those things more in depth, feel free to ask.

Merry Christmas Ya'll

Comments

  1. I'm not sure what the cragun household would come to if we were to end up with a fake tree. I think Christmas would loose the rest of the magic it is desperately hanging onto. With santa already dead, there's not much left. Thank you Catherine for keeping Christmas as we know it, alive and well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Cheesy Little Love Note

Today has been one of those days, BUT... It's really hard to have a bad day when you have a momma like mine! Thanks for the package mom! I {love/miss} you so dang much! -Catherine P.S. Perfect timing...

(insert cheesy graduation quote here)

For my graduation present this year my parents suprised me with a new camera. They gave it to me a week or two early so I could take some pictures of my last days of high school and i never turn down a challenge, so here it goes, i have alot more pictures but that would get boring and old so this, my friends, is a run down of my last 2 weeks as a high school senior. It all started out when the seniors got done with class and finals a week early. We were determined to celebrate while every one else still had to go to school. We started off with a giant water balloon fight. Me Trevor Cameron and Matt (top row) all secretly stole water balloons to explode on people before the picture. I forgot that Ian (middle row far right) has muscles and knows how to punch people, don't worry, I'm a fast runner :) We let em off easy the second time. Here's all my pals (well not all of em, most of em) We had a BBQ/yearbook signing/volleyball game. Ian and Matt made some dang good burgers. M

Ya, You Betcha

My family is spread pretty far apart, I currently have 2 brothers in Utah 1 brother and a sister in law in Ohio, 1 brother in DC, and my parents who live in Minnesota. It's pretty rare to have the whole family home, except at Christmas, but as luck would have it, our whole family came home for one reason or another and we got to spend 3 wonderful days up north together at beautiful lake superior. I love Minnesota for so many reasons, one of my favorite things about the land of lakes, is the lakes! My family and I stayed in a little summer home that was right on lake superior. We ate delicious food, went hiking, canoeing, ate at sven and oles pizza and explored some of the sites that surround the lake. The Lake Superior area, or Up North as we call it, is one of my favorite places. Most people don't realize that the moose chair was invented in Minnesota. Split Rock Lighthouse